You know you are relatively unprepared for Live Below the Line when you’re rushing into Superstore at 10pm the night before the challenge starts. I’ve joined forces this week with Jonathan, my husband, which meant that we had $17.50 between the two of us to spend on our 5 days worth of food.
It is so tricky to ensure that you stay within the $17.50 while simultaneously ensuring that none of your meals for each day exceeds the $1.75 limit. Here’s what we ended up with…
- 2x 12 pack of eggs – $4.94
- 10 bananas – $3.50
- 4 large sweet potatoes – $2.76
- 1lb bag of carrots – $1.78
- 900g bag of brown rice – $1.97
- Small portion of black beans – $0.76
- Small portion of lentils – $0.90
- Allocated salt & pepper – $0.40
All this for the grand total of $17.01
The plan is to have 2 eggs each per morning with a banana as a snack and then some combination of sweet potato, rice, beans and/or lentils throughout the day. I’ll share how we did on days 1 and 2 next.